POSTPONED: Public Meeting - Massachusetts Turnpike Boston Ramps Study
MassDOT is conducting the Massachusetts Turnpike – Boston Ramps Study. The purpose of the study is to investigate the potential for new or revised access to and from the regional express highway network using the Massachusetts Turnpike, Interstate 90, along the segment between Commonwealth Avenue in Allston and Interstate 93 in Chinatown. New connections to I-90 would also allow for potential new transit bus routes between these neighborhoods as well as better access to Logan Airport. A full range of ramp alternatives will be developed and analyzed and a plan for future improvements recommended.
A Public Information Meeting to provide an update on the study has been scheduled as follows:
Wednesday, October 8, 6:00-8:00pm, Boston Public Library, 700 Boylston Street
The study foundations (goals, objectives, evaluation criteria, and study area), existing conditions analysis, and alternative screening have all been completed. The study is evaluating eight potential build alternatives in addition to the no-build alternative. Four of the alternatives will involve construction of new ramps along the Turnpike in the Back Bay and four of the alternatives will involve reconfiguration of the Bowker Overpass through the Charlesgate. The eight alternatives are listed below.
Back Bay Ramp Alternatives
- Back Bay Alternative 1: Construction of a new I-90 westbound off-ramp to Berkeley Street with closure of the existing I-90 westbound on-ramp from Arlington Street.
- Back Bay Alternative 2: Construction of a new I-90 westbound off-ramp to Trinity Place with closure of the existing I-90 westbound on-ramps from Clarendon Street and Arlington Street.
- Back Bay Alternative 3: Construction of a new I-90 westbound off-ramp to Brookline Avenue.
- Back Bay Alternative 4: Construction of a new I-90 eastbound on-ramp from the Bowker Overpass northbound.
Bowker Overpass Alternatives
- Bowker Alternative 1: The Bowker Overpass is removed and all movements are accommodated on the Charlesgate Roadways
- Bowker Alternative 2: The Bowker Overpass is lowered to an at-grade roadway and the Charlesgate roadways are downgraded to provide only local access
- Bowker Alternative 3: The Bowker Overpass is removed and a new interchange is constructed connecting the Turnpike to Boylston Street with the local connection to Storrow Drive maintained at Charlesgate
- Bowker Alternative 4: The Bowker Overpass is removed and a new interchange is constructed connecting the Turnpike to Boylston Street, with the local connection to Storrow Drive provided by a new interchange with Massachusetts Avenue